Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tangible Presence

I was just reading a blog update from my dear friends who moved to Africa two weeks ago. In a few ways it feels like just yesterday, but in most ways I feel like it's been forever. We've waited for the time to come that they could move for so long that it just seems so right and normal.

As I was reading Angie's post about how everything there is the same but different, old feelings began to flood my heart. It's almost like I was standing in the Jo'burg airport all over again by myself as I ventured to my new home.

Angie went on to describe how in worship God was there. And how in her time with God in her house in the morning, God was there. How she knew things would be ok because God was there. I remember before I left America, God and I made a deal. I told Him that I would move to Africa if He would move with me. Obviously that's a silly request because God is omnipresent, meaning He is everywhere all the time. So even before I moved to Africa, God was already there. But still, I wasn't going if He wasn't "going".

I still look back on those first few months that I lived in Africa and my heart is so content as I think about how God did indeed move with me. It's almost like just to humor me and to give me a little extra comfort, He made His presence almost tangible for me so that I was assured He was with me. I remember times in my room where I could almost feel Him there. I remember walks to my office or church and almost being able to reach out and touch Him as He walked with me.

I can't think of any other way to explain it than a sweet almost tangible presence of God. He made sure that I knew He was with me and that I would be ok. It's weird but reading Angie's post about God being there and knowing that it's going to be ok, makes me want to move now. It makes me want to give up all the comforts of home and thrust myself in to a new place once again where I know no one but God. I long for the days of that sweet tangible presence. Don't get me wrong, I know that same presence if here with me in Lafayette. And there are sweet times here with Him as well.

But I can't help but miss those days. Upstairs in my corner room with my door shut and the windows open. My curtains blowing in the breeze and the gentle soothing hum of my fan. My computer sitting by me and playing worship music as God and I conversed and He reassured me that I was with Him and where He wanted me. When I think of that room in Africa, I think of God and His sweet tangible presence. He most definitely moved there with me!

Until then......

No comments: