Thursday, January 21, 2016

"I've tasted a drop but I long for the ocean"

I was in a church service in North Carolina about a year and a half ago.  At the end of the service there was a girl who was playing the keyboard and singing as people had time to respond to the message.  She sang a line that has stuck with me all this time.  It wasn't an actual song, but just a line that slipped from her lips as she played.  The line said "I've tasted a drop but I long for the ocean."

I think when it comes to God this line is especially applicable.  In our relationship with God we can feel like we know Him and get comfortable with what we know.  When in reality all we have is just a drop of who He is.  And there are one of two ways that we can respond to that drop.  We can either have the drop and be satisfied or that drop can cause us to long for even more.

"I've tasted a drop but I long for the ocean."  I only have a bit of God.  He is so large and vast that there is so much more to discover.  I don't want to be satisfied with the drop that I have.  I indeed long for more of the ocean that is God.